The Men of SEO

A fan blog devoted to the men of SEO. Making search engine optimization sexier and more entertaining.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Search Engine Studs - Day 1

Day one? Just a tad behind. I'm finding that despite being a native Chicagoan, I even think it's too cold and have been burying myself underneath blankets at every opportunity. But, I'm out, and a little nippy, but happily nerding it up at a table at Borders. On to the good stuff!

Unlike most of the crowd at SES, my first day wasn't until Tuesday, December 5th. After spending some quality time with fellow passengers making it through customs, I got to hang out a little longer while I schlepped my pink suitcases (the pink accessory fascination is real) through O'Hare to the airport shuttle station. Even though I was excited to see some search cuties, the pillows in my hotel room seemed slightly (just a smidgen) more appealing, so I gave in and slept through most of Monday. I did wake up long enough to get a good, greasy patty melt. In the few months I've been in Paris, part of my jelly belly has gone missing. I'll find out soon if 2 weeks in Chicago is enough time to get it back.

Once I made it to the conference hotel, I got my badge and started to poke around the exhibition hall. One of the first people I spotted was


Dana Todd, who had a fan gathering already forming around her, but when it comes to SEO fandom, I've got things covered. Okay, not really, but she was nice enough to ditch the guys hanging around the SEMPO booth (haha!) for a few minutes.

In the press room she introduced me to

Mona Elesseily, another search lady I love. I actually recognized her from the Web Marketing Today newsletter I receive, where she and Andrew Goodman of Page Zero are the Paid Search contributors. Then she reminded me that she was one of the ladies in bed with Danny Sullivan. Hussy! Joking of course, because I'm sure she can get me an invite to the next search pajama party.

Though I hear the real challenge is not into getting Danny into bed, but getting him to turn the computer off (hi Anonymous).

Though Dana and Mona are both leading ladies of search, I quickly caught site of an orange suit, and a pink tie and lost focus.

Aaaah! It's my Sexy SEO Boy of September (and November), Mikkel de Mib Svendsen. And he's got Some Guy with him! I hear Mikkel traded shirts with Some Guy aka Ken Jurina, so that he could catch my eye. And it totally worked.

"No, I don't have time to talk about your rankings. I'm discussing style tips right now. You don't get a name in this industry by just talking about the industry"


Ken demonstrates his Matrix-style marketing hand to Mikkel. Faster than a clicking camera, this is the type of skill other SEOs aspire to have.

Even though Ken wore my favorite color, I couldn't help but notice a streak of yellow. Was it... it couldn't be.. it was!


My original Sexy SEO Boy of the Month! In my mind I saw the beach background behind him, and palm trees... then, I saw Rebecca who looked like she'd help Rand make a run for it if I stood there too long.

I actually stood there long enough for them to figure out my identity. Apparently, the Cuttlets are the only organized fan base, so I was a little obvious. That, and apparently someone started dropping hints about my true identity on Sunday (hi Someone).

No harm though. Since I beat all of the other Fishkin fans (first!), Rand and Rebecca went back to the exhibition hall with me.

Rebeca and I lost track of Rand, but made it around to some other sexy SEOs, so I was happy. At the Review Me booth, I spotted


Bearded Babe, Andy Hagans. You'll have to forgive the blurry picture. Andy started stroking his beard and I got all excited and had trouble just pushing the button. I started to explain that it was the first time something like that had ever happened to me, and Andy just told me that it happens to everyone and I shouldn't feel bad.

Also hanging out at the Review Me booth was
Sex Goddess Kim Krause
Berg, who is a lady I love, but also a true search super hero for making it to so many sessions despite not feeling 100%. She also blinded Danny with the flash from her camera (or was it the magic wristlets?). Kim, call me next time! You set off the flash, I'll get him into the van and we can take him back to the secret search lair.

After walking around a bit more, we caught up with Rand again. He spent some time talking with


Chris Boggs and Barry Schwartz, for Webmaster Radio. I like this picture because it looks like Barry's up to something, and Chris looks reeeeally interested. Could they be checking out the Women of SEO? (promise, that blog isn't me)

I'm not sure, but Chris offered me quite a bit of swag after he finished, so I think I may be onto something. Either that, or he's trying to get me to overlook the fact that he's not a bearded babe and giving me stuff to compensate for the lack of facial hair. That works.

After that we hung around for a little bit. Someone came up to Rebecca and went "you're part of Rand Fishkin, right?" Rebecca confirmed that the surgery went well, and that she's no longer conjoined to the search portion of Rand's brain.

After that I tagged along with Rand and Rebecca to join a long table full of Search Superstuds at dinner, which is a part of the evening which deserves it's own post.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice! So, has your secret identity been revealed yet? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great time was had by all. Thanks for letting me tag along. Keep up the good work, err I mean keep up the fun!

4:45 PM  
Blogger SEO Fangirl said...

Is that the Matt Cutts, or the MySpace Matt Cutts?

Wow, I'm really excited that either of you are inquiring. The identity's not terribly secret anymore, but I'll keep the magic of Fangirl alive.

If for no other reason than to maintain some anonymity while I hide behind the Cuttlets

6:17 PM  
Blogger Chris Boggs said...

Wow now I know who you are! I was saying to someone that I think I need to send you a pic of me with my baby boy...or just him. He will be the SEO Fangirls' dreams of the future, and having him in a pic with me makes me look better, even "sans-barbe." :)

Nice to meet you, and please keep up the fun blog.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had a great time in Chicago Fan Girl! Enjoyed the pizza and the party and especially meeting you in person. Glad I could add some future interesting content regarding the "butt" cheese, but I'm wondering who in the group actually threw that piece of cheese on my chair before I sat down???

9:59 AM  
Anonymous SEOMofo said...

great search engine stud useful for Search-Engine-Magic-Wand

4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home